Are you making a pros and cons list about whether to add a backsplash to your kitchen? In this blog post, we will explore whether backsplashes are really necessary, suggest various options, and offer tips for choosing the best ones.
Are backsplashes really necessary?
Do you need a backsplash in your kitchen? In short, no, but interior designers often recommend installing one. Backsplashes are not essential kitchen components, unlike cabinets, sinks, or countertops. However, they fulfil an important function by protecting your walls from water, and other liquids, while also enhancing your kitchen’s aesthetics. Additionally, installing a backsplash offers a quick and cost-effective method to upgrade your kitchen’s value and aesthetics.
Benefits of installing a backsplash
While a backsplash is not an essential requirement in a kitchen, home design experts agree and recommend that it is advantageous to add one to your kitchen as it provides the following benefits:
- Protection: The purpose of a backsplash is to protect the walls at the back of a countertop and behind the stove and sink. Without a backsplash, these areas are exposed to damages that can result from splashes of water, grease and other stain-causing liquids. Other protective benefits include preventing mildew and liquid damage to structural surfaces as a result of liquid dripping below the countertop.
- Easy to maintain: In addition to its protective features, the backsplash offers another functional role. Having a backsplash makes maintaining a clean and hygienic kitchen effortless. This is thanks to the easy-to-clean materials used to create a backsplash. Simply wipe down tile, glass, stainless steel, stone or quartz backsplash surfaces to remove grease and oil splashes.
- Aesthetic role: Primarily the role of a backsplash is a functional one but it is often used for its decorative uses. An expert home remodels designer can design the backsplash to accentuate the kitchen’s existing decorating scheme. A kitchen’s visual aesthetic quality is enhanced when the design of the backsplash ties in with the overall look and style.
Kitchen backsplashes: a quick and easy way to increase home value
The State of Remodeling in the U.S. Report for 2022 found that 57% of homeowners witnessed a raise in appraisal value after undertaking a home remodel. If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to improve your home’s value, consider adding a kitchen backsplash. It’s a relatively inexpensive and low-maintenance upgrade that can make a big difference in the overall appearance of your kitchen. Additions like a kitchen backsplash are an easy kitchen improvement idea that can add value in numerous ways.
Types of backsplash you can choose from
There are various types of backsplashes available, each with its own benefits. We recommend the following options:
- Ceramic tile backsplash: The most common type of backsplash, and widely used for his benefits. It’s durable, easy to maintain, and can come in different of colors, styles, and patterns.
- Glass tile backsplash: This type of backsplash offers a modern look and is easy to maintain and clean, making it a popular option.
- Stone backsplash: It’s a well-known choice for adding a touch of luxury and offering a superb aesthetic experience. These backsplashes are also highly durable and easy to clean; popular options include marble and granite.
- Stainless steel backsplash: They are durable and easy to clean, making them a great addition to your efforts in modernizing your kitchen.
- Mosaic backsplash: A fantastic way to rejuvenate your kitchen while highlighting your style is by adding mosaic backsplashes. They are available in numerous variants and can be made from tiles, glass, or stone.
How to choose the right backsplash for your kitchen?
How do you coordinate colors, patterns and textures in a backsplash to create a cohesive look in your kitchen’s aesthetic value? Backsplash materials come in a wide array of options from painted glass to ceramic tile to granite and marble. Don’t leave the design of your backsplash as an afterthought; here are a few tips to consider.
- Opt for sustainable backsplash materials: Sustainability is a key word in modern design trends. Sustainable materials are available in a wide variety of colors, finishes and textures – all durable and maintenance-friendly.
- Aim for a timeless look: Over time trends come and go and the time and expense invested in a home remodel means that you need to ensure that the design style you choose for your new kitchen is one you are prepared to live with for the long-term.
- Think about wear and tear: Which backsplash materials would give you the most value for money? Of course, you want something that offers high aesthetic value but you don’t want to break your budget over it. Or, find that it soon needs replacing as the materials used were not durable enough to withstand use over time.
- Consider the sealing needs: If you’ve opted to go with tiles for your backsplash then know that each tile material will have its own sealing needs. Some tile materials will need to be sealed more often than others.
Why choose AZ Neighbors for your backsplash installation?
To achieve a satisfactory home remodeling experience as well as professional quality results, it is always a good idea to partner with a kitchen remodel company in Phoenix, Arizona reputed for their excellent customer service. To boost your home’s resale value through a kitchen remodel, you need top-notch results, which require the expertise of an experienced home remodel specialist to guide you.
Our specialists at AZ Neighbors can assist you in creating a functional and beautiful kitchen. With our friendly and knowledgeable team, our home remodeling company is well-known for professionalism and exceptional customer service. If you need to refresh your kitchen, we are the experts for you.